Rules and Regulations – Gold Medal Ceol Beag
Rules are based on regulations for the Argyllshire Gathering, Northern Meeting and Competing Pipers Association – sanctioned competitions. CPA membership is not required, but encouraged. The Competing Pipers Association
1. Open to Competitors who are graded B or higher, or Open/Professional by their Pipe Band Association; the Competitor must be a member of his/her association in good standing the day of the competition or risk disqualification.
2. Previous winners of the Former Winners March, Strathspey & Reel at The Argyllshire Gathering or Former Winners March, Strathspey & Reel at The Northern Meeting are not eligible for the competition.
3. All entry forms and fees must be received by MHAF no later than December 15, 2017.
4. Competitors shall submit: FOUR 2/4 marches, FOUR strathspeys, and FOUR reels (MSR), with a minimum of four parts each and shall play one tune of each type as selected in any combination from the tunes submitted. The MSR set selected shall be played straight through without stopping. Competitors will be notified of the selected set prior to entering the final tuning room (approximately 20 minutes prior to performance time). The six highest aggregate scores of the MSR will determine the final heat.
5. The six highest aggregate scores of the MSR qualifier will submit ONE MSRHJ (march, strathspey, reel, hornpipe, jig) with a minimum of four parts each. The MSRHJ set shall be played straight through without stopping. The three highest aggregate scores of the final MSRHJ heat will determine the final placing for prizes.
6. Any changes in tune submissions must be made in writing, and received by MHAF no later than December 15, 2017 to
7. The order of play will be decided by ballot shortly after the closing date for entries. Competitors will be advised of the order of play as soon as possible after this date.
8. All Competitors must appear and compete in Highland Dress or uniform and are expected to remain so attired throughout the day until after the presentation of prizes. Appropriate headdress must be worn when competing. Bagpipes must have an appropriate bag cover surrounding the bag. Jackets are preferred, but optional.
9. Individual competition times will be posted for the first three Competitors; the remaining Competitors will be subject to an order of play, as designated by the Stewards. All Competitors will be individually responsible for reporting to the Stewards at least one hour prior to their competition time.
10. In order to eliminate large gaps in the contest due to players being disqualified or unable to attend, Competitor order of play is subject to change at the discretion of the Stewards. All Competitors must be ready to compete when called; otherwise they may be disqualified.
11. After a Competitor has been called to play, four minutes maximum is allowed for tuning. A light panel will signal elapsed time to the Competitor and Judges: Green light = 4 minutes remaining; Yellow Light = 1 minute remaining; red light = begin play. Upon illumination of the red light, the Competitor must immediately commence the tune or risk disqualification by the Judges.
12. The Judges are empowered to stop any Competitor while playing if, in their opinion, the play is such to bar him/her from any chance of winning a prize.
13. Warm-up in a non-designated, public area of the host hotel is disruptive to other Competitors and guests; therefore, such behavior will result in immediate disqualification.
14. Any Competitor acting contrary to the rules of the competition, or the orders of the Judges and Stewards, may be excluded or disqualified from the competition or prize list.
15. All decisions made by the Judges will be final.
16. Entry in the competition is consent for recording sound and image, and distribution on any/all media, which shall become property of Midwest Highland Arts Fund.
17. Directors of MHAF, contest sponsors, MHAF judges, and MHAF instructors are ineligible for entry to the contest.
By applying to the Midwest Highland Arts Fund North American Professional Ceol Beag Championship, I agree to be bound by these rules.