Rules and Regulations – U.S. Silver Medal
The McCallum Bagpipe and Midwest Pipe Band Association United States Silver Medal Piobaireachd Competition (USSM) Rules and Regulations.
USSM Rules are based on regulations for the Northern Meeting and Competing Pipers Association – sanctioned competitions. CPA membership is not required, but encouraged. The Competing Pipers Association
1. Open to Competitors who are graded Professional or Open by their Pipe Band Association; the Competitor must be a member of his/her association in good standing the day of the competition or risk disqualification.
2. Open to Competitors who are eligible to apply to compete for the Silver Medal competitions at Oban or Inverness, but not those eligible to compete, or applying to compete, in the Gold Medal or above at the same competitions. Past USSM Champions shall not be eligible to compete, regardless of eligibility for Oban or Inverness.
3. The competition is open to the first thirty-five eligible applicants. In the event more than thirty-five eligible Competitors apply, alternates will be designated and notified accordingly.
4. There must be more Competitors than prizes or part of the prizes may be withdrawn. No first prize may be awarded unless there are at least two Competitors. A fourth prize will be awarded should ten or more Contestants compete and a fifth prize if fifteen or more compete.
5. All entry forms and fees must be received by MHAF no later than December 15, 2017.
6. Competitors must submit four (4) tunes of their own choice for the US Silver Medal competition, one of which they will be asked to play. Competitors will be notified of the selected tune prior to entering the final tuning-room (approximately 20 minutes prior to performance time), at which point they will be required to provide four clean copies of their selected tune to the steward.
7. Any changes in tune submissions must be made in writing, and received by MHAF no later than December 15, 2017.
8. The order of play will be decided by ballot shortly after the closing date for entries. Competitors will be advised of the order of play as soon as possible after this date.
9. All Competitors must appear and compete in Highland Dress or uniform and are expected to remain so attired throughout the day until after the presentation of prizes. Appropriate headdress must be worn when competing. Bagpipes must have an appropriate bag cover surrounding the bag. Jackets are optional.
10. Individual competition times will be posted for the first three Competitors; the remaining Competitors will be subject to an order of play, as designated by the Stewards. All Competitors will be individually responsible for reporting to the Stewards at least one hour prior to their competition time.
11. In order to eliminate large gaps in the contest due to players being disqualified or unable to attend, Competitor order of play is subject to change at the discretion of the Stewards. All Competitors must be ready to compete when called; otherwise they may be disqualified.
12. After a Competitor has been called to play, four minutes maximum is allowed for tuning. A light panel will signal elapsed time to the Competitor and Judges: Green light = 4 minutes remaining; Yellow Light = 1 minute remaining; red light = begin play. Upon illumination of the red light, the Competitor must immediately commence the tune or risk disqualification by the Judges.
13. The Judges are empowered to stop any Competitor while playing if, in their opinion, the play is such to bar him/her from any chance of winning a prize.
14. Warm-up in a non-designated, public area of the host hotel is disruptive to other Competitors and guests; therefore, such behavior will result in immediate disqualification.
15. Any Competitor acting contrary to the rules of the competition, or the orders of the Judges and Stewards, may be excluded or disqualified from the competition or prize list.
16. All decisions made by the Judges will be final.
17. Entry in the competition is consent for recording sound and image, and distribution on any/all media, which shall become property of Midwest Highland Arts Fund.
18. Directors of MHAF, USSM contest sponsors, MHAF judges, and MHAF instructors are ineligible for entry to the contest.
By applying to the McCallum Bagpipe and Midwest Pipe Band Association US Silver Medal, I agree to be bound by these rules.